Root Canal Treatments
Root Canal Services in Tauranga
Tooth decay is one of the most common dental problems in the world. Reputable dentists will exhaust all possible measures to save your natural tooth and restore its function and appearance. If you are looking for safe and pain free root canal services in Tauranga. Talk to the team at Tauranga Dental House today. Our dentists offer a range of endodontic treatments Tauranga patients can take advantage of to minimise their pain and keep the natural teeth they have. Our treatments can also protect neighbouring teeth from undue wear and strain. If taken care of properly after treatment, teeth that have had root canal therapy can maintain their functionality and appearance for a lifetime.
What Is Root Canal Treatment?
This treatment saves a severely injured, cracked, or decayed tooth when its pulp (the soft inner tissue inside a tooth’s root canal) becomes inflamed or infected. If it is not treated promptly, pain or a tooth abscess results. Root Canal is the common name for endodontic treatment.
Root canal treatment is normally completed in one or two office visits, depending on the presence of infection and the required treatment plan. After restoration, the tooth continues to function like any other tooth. With good oral hygiene, the restored tooth has the potential to last a lifetime.
When Is A Root Canal Treatment Required?
See your Dentist if you experience any of these symptoms:
- Tooth or gum pain, tooth discolouration, or prolonged sensitivity to heat or cold
- A tooth that is tender when it is touched
- An abscess (pimple) on the gum
- Swelling or tenderness in the lymph nodes under your jaw
- Sometimes an endodontic problem can exist without warning signs. In these cases, an x-ray taken during a routine dental check-up will reveal the tooth damage.
Root canal treatment involves the removal of the diseased pulp (located within a tooth’s root canal). The pulp chamber and root canal(s) of your tooth are then cleaned, medicated and sealed. A dental crown or other restorative treatment is used to protect and strengthen the tooth.
If a root canal is needed:
- A local anaesthetic is applied to the affected tooth and surrounding area.
- A small, protective sheet called a “dental dam” may be used to isolate the tooth to keep it clean and free of saliva during your treatment.
- The root canal is cleaned, medicated, and filled with a rubber-like biocompatible material (gutta percha).
- Your dentist will then place a permanent restoration, and may recommend a crown, to protect the tooth.
- After treatment, your tooth may still be sensitive, but this will subside as the inflammation diminishes.
- You will be given care instructions after each appointment. Good oral hygiene practices and regular dental visits will aid in the life of your root canal treatment.
For more information about the range of root canal treatments we offer our Tauranga customers, call Tauranga Dental House for an appointment today.